Thursday, July 14, 2011

Uncle Lowell

Mike's Uncle Lowell passed away on June 27, 2011. He had been fighting cancer for over a year and had been in an immense amount of pain. He was a wonderful example to all who knew him. He loved the gospel, served with a smile, and lived his life as a true disciple of Christ. His funeral in one word was amazing. There were so many people there to honor and remember this wonderful man; filled with people all the way back through the chapel, gym, and onto the stage. The spirit was so strong throughout the entire service. The closing song was "Called to Serve". It was amazing as the first verse was sung in Russian and hundreds of Uncle Lowell's missionaries (he was a mission president in Russia) and family members sang. It was as if it was a choir of angles singing welcoming Lowell as he was called to serve his mission on the other side.
If you want to read about his story you can read on his daughters blog here. Also if you go there you will see what an amazing legacy this man has left. The faith and attitude of this family amazes me and I hope one day I can be as wonderful as they each are.

The day Lowell passed away I sat thinking about everything. My heart hurting for his dear wife, children, and other family members. My heart hurt as I read the pains he experienced the last few months stating to the doctor on his last visit before he was put on hospice explaining his immense pain saying that he would never wish this pain on anyone. The day he passed away those pains and afflictions were taken away as he ascended to our Father in Heaven. I sat thinking of the scriptures. My mind turned to Doctrine and Covenants sections 121 and 122 "Thine adversity and afflictions shall be but a small moment." As Lowell suffered for months in grueling pain I sat pondering that now as he had met the Savior and reunited with loved ones on the other side it probably, did seem but a small moment to him. As trials, pain, afflictions, and tribulations come our way we must remember that they are "for our good and experience." And when we look at this life with an eternal perspective we can endure well knowing that our Savior has "descended below" all things and knows how to succor us. I am so grateful for the knowledge and peace the gospel of Jesus Christ brings to my soul. And I am so grateful for family and the love that we can share. I know that Jesus Christ lives and that through him we can be families forever. And I am so grateful for that knowledge and the joy that it brings. I am grateful for G. Lowell Wright and his amazing example, life, and testimony. God be with you til we meet again.

1 comment:

Heidi gail walls said...

i read his daughters blog and about his legacy. What a wonderful man. and family and extended family he has.